Stone Brewing is the ninth largest craft brewery in the United States. We brew badass beers on both coasts at our breweries in Escondido, CA and Richmond, VA, and create amazing experiences at our bistro and taproom locations. We’ve enjoyed an incredible 26 years of following our passion, and we are in search of people who are also passionate about pursuing their craft to join Team Stone.
We are seeking a Head Brewer to ensure the smooth, efficient production operations in the Brewing department. This individual will identify and focus on key performance indicators to improve the business operation of brewing beer, and drive continuous improvement processes in the Brewing department.
Ensure safe, high quality, reliable, and efficient production operations in the brewing department.
- Provide proactive leadership for team safety through team feedback, regular floor walks/inspections, and root cause analysis for Near Hits and Safety Incidents.
- Ensure a safe work environment and a culture that embraces safe work habits, understanding of the risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritizing corrective action of any identified safety hazards or risks.
- Assures completion of monthly safety tailgates and compliance training.
Teamwork and Team Development:
- Evaluate staffing requirements using a 2x2 and 3x3 deep approach. Determine skills set and experience required for each role to keep the department fully staffed and trained.
- Drive an aggressive training program that not only provides opportunities for the team and supports professional growth and development, but also maximizes flexibility with scheduling and skillsets.
- Develop methods to teach and educate the team on our beers, quality management, manufacturing, and continuous improvement practices.
- Serve as a continuous improvement resource for Team Members at all levels and across departments. Encourages Process Improvement Initiatives and input from all levels.
- Prepares and delivers quarterly and annual Performance Reviews of hourly, and bi-weekly 1x1’s of salaried Brewing staff. Mentors and coaches salaried Brewing staff.
- Willing to work across silos, and provide leadership coverage in Packaging, Quality, and Maintenance as needed.
- Evaluates and interprets wort and beer quality daily with regard to physical chemistry analytical results, microbiological stability, process consistency, and taste. Implement changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor and consistency. Evaluate new ingredients and processes.
- Identify brewing process and beer quality issues and develop systematic cause and effect approach to solutions.
- Ensure that core beers match the established flavor targets and develops corrective action when undesired flavor trends are noted.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and works with the Director of Brewery Operations, Procurement, and vendors to secure the highest quality, competitively priced ingredients based on brewing projections.
- Ensure the Stone cGMPs and specific Stone Standard Operating Procedures are always followed. Participates in cGMP audits.
- Regularly reviews the Master Sanitation Schedule, and ceaselessly looks for improvements when considering micro data and new beer formulas, processes, and equipment.
- Leads weekly Physical Chemistry and Microbiology quality meetings using PDCA.
Brewing Department Management:
- Ensure standard, consistent, and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all Brewing Department tasks.
- Ensure standard and consistent practices are used for all wastewater and waste byproduct handling.
- Drives a culture of process and equipment ownership that empowers and expects teammates to initiate troubleshooting.
- Ensure that all equipment and operating systems are of sufficient capacity, reliability, and contribute positively to the quality of our beer.
- Ensure that Production Areas are clean and always organized.
- Ensure Team Members have the tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs.
- Exceed customer expectations when delivering services, products, and information to other departments and external customers.
- Be a resource for equipment maintenance and reliability and lead process and equipment optimization.
- Ensure responsible use of brewing resources by reducing process loss throughout the brewing, yeast propagation, fermenting, finishing, and water / wastewater operations.
- Manage the brew plan (malt, wort, yeast, beer, and wastewater byproduct delivery) and ensure brewing scheduling and production fulfill company requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
- Own brewing capacity calculations and update as brand mix changes and improvement initiatives dictate changes.
- Identify opportunities for and drive continuous process improvement throughout the entire brewing process using. Attack the 8 Wastes with passion.
- Provide leadership for innovation, creativity, and unique approaches to business development opportunities and operations issues.
- Partner with Innovation Team to scale up new beers from pilot scale to full production. Ensure ingredients and processes are scalable.
- Properly staffs the pilot system and participates as part of the Innovation Team to support research and development, as well as innovation beers for the tap rooms and new product development.
- Seek out opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments, and processes.
- Foster an environment of Continuous Improvement with regard to Team Member performance, beer quality, production processes, and Departmental strategy and goals.
- Support local, national, and international events (beer dinners, beer events, festivals, and sales visits) as required and requested to assist Sales Team and Regional Representatives.
- Be an ambassador for Stone Brewing in the craft brewing community by supporting Brewers Association, Master Brewers Association, Association of Brewing Chemists, the Institute of Brewing and Distilling, and other professional organizations’ events and activities.