Melvin Brewing in beautiful Alpine, WY is accepting applications for Lab/QC Manager. We are currently operating a 30 bbl, 6-vessel automated brewhouse in a 20,000 square foot brewing facility among the mountains and rivers of western Wyoming. We are looking for someone who can complement our vision with his or her skillset.
This is an amazing opportunity with one of the fastest growing breweries in the country – and GABF’s 2017 Brewery Group of the Year! The right candidate will be responsible for daily Quality Controls of a 30 bbl brewhouse producing a variety of beer styles in strict adherence to Melvin Brewing’s process, quality and safety standards. The ideal candidate will be responsible for prescribed sampling, testing, monitoring and reporting of all Melvin Brewing quality control/quality assurance elements in order to maintain and improve quality of product and ingredients throughout the facility.
These duties/skills include but are not limited to:
• Sample wort for stability, microbiological and other tests
• Sample beer for microbiological, dissolved oxygen and other tests
• Sample yeast for microbiological, viability, vitality and other testing as well as cell count and pitch rate determination
• Propagate Yeast
• Use ASBC methods throughout lab
• Sample packaged product for carbonation, dissolved oxygen, microbiological and other testing
• Manage all tests in progress in ensure accurate results
• Use all standard brewery lab equipment to conduct all necessary activities
• Conduct daily/weekly/monthly taste panels conducted as prescribed/ necessary to ensure quality of products and ingredients in various stages of production
• Maintain necessary lab supplies inventory to conduct all tests and perform tasks as needed
• Preparation of growth media
• Sterile sampling
• Maintain and routinely sample packaged beer inventory for shelf life, microbiological and other testing as needed
• Log lab results and any pertinent information regarding the work
• Attend regular brewery team meetings as needed
• Help create, maintain and develop SOPs for all QA/QC-related activities
Job Requirements/Ideal Candidate Info:
• Unmitigated passion for beer and the work it takes to make it
• At least 2 years experience performing above duties at mid- to large-size craft brewery preferred
• BS in microbiology and/or chemistry, Masters Degree preferred.
• Quality-minded professional able to work alone and with a team
• Properly use of provided personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to boots, gloves, respirators, face shields/safety glasses, safety harnesses, hearing protection as well as proper use of power equipment such as forklift, scissorlift, ladders/portable stairways, etc.
• High level verbal and written communication capacity
• Attention to detail
• Team player with appreciation for combining efforts with others to achieve a common goal
• Flexibility in schedule to work days, nights and weekends as needed
• Must have reliable transportation
• Full mobility and physical capability including:
o Standing up to 8 hours per shift
o Stooping, bending, crouching, reaching, sitting
o Manual manipulation of small parts and all equipment necessary to the job
o Lifting up to 55 pounds to shoulder height repetitively
o Working in often hot/wet/cold/humid conditions
o Ability to walk up and down stairs throughout shift
o Great palate for beer with sharp olfactory and taste senses
o Ability to see near and far objects
Alpine, Wyoming is located 35 minutes south of Jackson Hole and is ideally located within and near the mountains and rivers of Wyoming and Idaho. Year-round outdoor opportunities including fishing, hunting, mountain and road biking, snow sports of all kinds.
We’re brewing beer from the future in one of the most beautiful, wild regions in the US and we’re looking for people who are up for the adventure.
Pay is commensurate with experience. Benefits will be included.
Please email your cover letter, résumé and references to email@example.com.